Monday, 14 June 2010

Movies, Comics, & Musings

Anyone who knows me is aware I'm all about the media - anything that enriches the Gaming experience is a great thing as far as I am concerned - whether it be Books, Comics, Music, or Movies.

Comics-Wise everybody and his Cat knows about Weird War Tales, Creature Commandos, the WW2 references from Hellboy, and (of course) Paolo Parente's Dust - but what about "The Light Brigade" by Peter Tomasi & Peter Snejbjerg.

In the Light Brigade - In this supernatural 4-issue miniseries there's a war in Heaven, and Earth is the battleground. A ragtag squad of WWII G.I.s must recover the mysterious Sword of God, a heavenly artifact coveted by angels, demons, and Nazis!

I have to tell you guys its a must read (and now collected as a Graphic Novel) - I won't go into too much detail, as I don't want to spoil it for those who have yet to discover it. But go and buy it now, no-one I have recommended it too has been disappointed.

Its that good I am sorely tempted to buy the Graphic Novel even though I have the original 4-Issue Series!

What about Movies - there are more than you would think, both good and bad  - actually, to be honest I like them all; except for perhaps "SS Doomtrooper" which was the Sci Fi channels movie of the week- the effects are kinda dodgey.

So, here is a quick list for your viewing pleasure -

The Keep (1983) 

I love the Keep, its a cracking (if a little confusing when you first watch it) Movie.

Zone Troopers (1985)

Its silly but its fun, its a great "Full Moon" (its got their whole stable of actors) style movie - if you like the Trancers Movies, you'll love this

The Bunker (2001)

A lot of people don't rate the Bunker - but I quite enjoyed it. Its worth a look-see at least.

Below (2002)

Slow to start, then builds up - then slows down again. Not the best paced movie in the world, but it gets you there in the end.

S.S. Doomtrooper (2006) (TV)

Nice idea (sort of a Dirty Dozen setup) and they ALMOST pull it off, then the effects screw it up entirely.

Horrors of War (2006)

An Indy Film that had probably less than half the budget of SS Doomtrooper - but somehow manages to do twice as much with it - Highly Recommended!

No comments: